1. Is Armour & Embarkation a separate event from Maiden Newton at War?
Yes it is but we do have some great cross over.
2. What is the Armour & Embarkation event about?
To commemorate the build up of armour, vehicles and men in Dorset ready for D-Day.
3. I am bringing a tracked vehicle, is there good access to unload an HGV and can I keep the HGV there over the weekend?
Yes it is great access and built for HGVs. And yes you can keep it in a secure vehicle park throughout the weekend.
4. Is this event only for WWII vehicles?
Yes strictly WWII as it is a WWII commemorative event.
5. Do I have to own a WWII vehicle to attend?
No you can come as a spectator.
6. I am a re-enactor and this is a vehicle event – can I come?
Absolutely, you are more than welcome. In fact we encourage it.
7. Is the campsite just for WWII tentage and vehicles?
No, you can sleep in what you like, caravans, tents etc etc and yes ‘plastic’ camping is welcomed as it is just a campsite/HQ for us.
8. Will there be washing facilities on the campsite?
Yes there will be showers, toilets and drinking water on site.
9. Is the campsite easy to find?
Yes it is right next to the A37.
10. I am bringing my military vehicle – is it OK to wear jeans and a T shirt whilst the event is on?
You can wear what you feel comfortable with but don’t blame us if people let your tires down and start calling you names It would be good to keep in with the theme of the event so anything olive drab as long as it was worn during WWII. The is a great choice of businesses that sell WWII reproduction clothing.
11. Are there shops and fuel stations near by?
Yes Maiden Newton has it al.
12. Is there a beer tent at the campsite?
No, we are all going to support the village and MNaW so we can go down into the village for the evenings entertainment.
13. Is it easy to get to the village from the campsite and do I have to go on roads to get there?
The village is just down in the valley and we have been lucky as the land owner has allowed us to set up a one way system across fields and sunken lanes which take us directly into the village – that trip is going to be fun in itself.
14. I own a Dodge Weapons Carrier…is it still OK to come?
Oh alright then…
15. I am coming down in my normal car – is it OK to be in the campsite with it?
Yes absolutely OK as the campsite isn’t open to the public.
16. Its £20 to attend but I only want to come for the Saturday and Sunday – do I have to pay the £20?
Yes and appreciate the question but we just don’t have the time to figure out who has paid what for when – it would just become an admin nightmare. Our time is free so we have to focus on organising the event.
17. It’s a bit much to have to pay to attend a show when I am bringing a vehicle and without vehicles you wouldn’t have a show?
It is a common point made and understandable too. But it is your choice if you would like to be part of something special or you would rather miss the experience. We also understand it could be a principal issue too and we respect that. But again, it is up to the individual if they would like to attend or not.
Some folks like to rough it and bring their own breakfast and don’t mind not washing for the weekend but others don’t. We need to attract more families, wives and girlfriends to this hobby and roughing it really isn’t much fun for them. So clean hot showers, breakfast and spotless loos is the way to go in our book.